News: SUPER SPECIAL OFFER: Upgrade to EZGUI 5.0 Pro for only $39 ! (until 04/30/2015)
New users special offer:  EZGUI 5.0 for only $99 (until 04/30/2015)

Check out our online Video Tutorials ! http://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerWorkshopSoft

TO REGISTER on Forum, contact tech support: http://cwsof.com/support.html

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Computer Workshop , Powerbasic and the future for my company.  (Read 4339 times)
Chris Boss
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »

Ok, maybe this is a "flip-flop", but I am taking a bit of a different stance as far as dealing with Powerbasic.

This post by Jim Bailey indicates that real change at Powerbasic is in process, so I will take a slightly different approach.

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pbforums/showthread.php?t=54664

It is the forums I take issue with since the lack of proper moderation has caused a lot of grief over the last few months, so for now I think it best I avoid any participation on the PB forums. If PowerBasic users want to know what is going on with my company, they will have to come here to find out.

That said, I will reach out to Tom and Jim in a purely business reach out between companies if they make an effort to reach out to my company in good faith and when real change at PowerBasic is obvious. I can't guarantee how things will go at Powerbasic, but coding in Powerbasic is my companies biggest strength and I would hate to see that go to waste.

The Computer Workshop has a great deal to offer to Powerbasic as a third party vendor, but it is still be seen whether they will appreciate this or not.

EZGUI is years ahead of the PowerBasic compiler itself when it comes to user interface features and it fills an important gap for Powerbasic users.

EZGUI 5.0 already supports things like OpenGL animation, STL 3D model format support, 2D animation via its Sprite engine, low level DIB engine (in Canvas control) with no need to copy blocks of pixels first before accessing them, HTML and HLP file display commands, OwnerDraw and CustomDraw support, Tray Icon commands, Theme drawing support, multi-monitor support, 22 built in image filters for drawing Bitmaps, 360 degree image rotation and alphablending (for Bitmaps), multimedia via MCI control, vector graphics via Turtle Graphic control, a real autoresize engine for Form controls, fast complex window region creation (non-rectangular windows), a property listbox control, a files listbox control. EZGUI is the only addon for Powerbasic with a built in drag and drop engine for building WYSIWYG style applications, like Visual Designers plus EZGUI is the only addon with a control layering engine.

So PowerBasic has a lot to gain from reaching out to the Computer Workshop. My company has nearly a decade and a half experience in working with the low level Windows WIN32 API, being the power of the Windows API to PowerBasic users, but made much easier to work with. You can even compile EZGUI apps without using a single WIN32 API include file, when used with Powerbasic.

This said, I am exploring other avenues for software development and the Computer Workshop will not be a Powerbasic only shop. I have some strong interests in mobile development and cross platform (meaning for mobile, not Linux/Mac stuff). So stay tuned to coming features .... !
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:28:39 PM by Chris Boss » Logged
Chris Boss
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »

One of the problems I have seen by targeting a single development system (ie. PowerBasic) is that I lose out on the benefits found in many other tools. So for the Computer Workshop this will change.

Some have encouraged me to switch to another Basic language like PureBasic and drop Powerbasic, but that too would be a mistake. I have too much experience with Powerbasic and the WIN32 API to simply drop it. Purebasic is interesting, but other than its cross platform support (Mac ansd Linux) it really does not have a lot to offer me right now (this may change in the future though). Cross platform for me has more to do with mobile, rather than the Mac or Linux.

I also have some concepts I am working on to branch out to a variety of areas, including working with DirectX based tools, animation, 3D graphics, etc. I may even do some video training on a variety of subjects.

What I want to do, is to find ways to better integrate different tools to build better software. I will be looking at BCX and different flavors of it to see if I can find ways to do better conversion of Basic code to C. I am not a C programmer and don't plan on it, so finding ways to integrate different tools to automate is a consideration. I am interested in Android development. I am interested in Windows 8.1 development for the WINRT (can't be done using PowerBasic), but not Visual Studio which I consider too complex and overtaken by OOP.

My big interest is in RAD tools. I have spent years working with PowerBasic which is way too low level at times. That is why I created EZGUI. But I want RAD tools for myself also, beyond PowerBasic. In the days to come I will report on my forums what I am doing in this effort to find better tools and better ways to integrate different tools.

For example, I purchased the Dark Studio software (Dark Basic), but as a game developer. I want to see if I can leverage it to do different things with it. I purchased Basic for Android, which is very interesting, but it needs more RAD support. I am experimenting with some Game RAD development tools to see if I can leverage them for things they even weren't intended for (ie. use one to build a business based mobile app). The idea is to be creative, using tools for their strengths, but for different purposes than they may have been designed for.

While much of my recent years have been working at a more low level (WIN32 API), most would be surprised to know that I have long been advocate of RAD development. Back in the DOS days I automated software development using inhouse libraries and code generation tools (ie. SoftCode). It was my appreciation for RAD development that motivated me to create EZGUI in the first place. It was originally an inhouse tool.

So stay tuned to the Computer Workshop to see what I come up with in the coming days. It will at least be interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: