Author Topic: Welcome to my new forums  (Read 6903 times)

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to my new forums
« on: September 03, 2021, 07:42:01 pm »
Welcome to the Computer Workshop's new online forums.

The previous forum software was way outdated and had big problems in trying to update it. Sadly I had to start from scratch for create this new SMF 2.0 forum which is the latest version.

I do have a backup of the old forum database, but still can't figure out how to import it into the new one.  SMF didn't make it easy to upgrade from the 1.x forums to 2.x.

I really like their forum software, but they did a bad job of making the upgrade path easy.

I still may be able to get the old data back.

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to my new forums
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:26:01 pm »
I am sorry about the problems with the old forum. It will take me awhile to see if I can get the data back and imported into this new forum.

The old forum used a very outdated version of PHP (5.5 or less) and all new software used PHP 7.x now. My website now is using PHP 7.4. I had to make changes, but the upgrade process of the old database had an error and trashed the forum. Fortunately I have a backup of the database, but to use it I still have to reinstall the old forum software temporarily, restore the database and then do an upgrade of the forum to get the database so it will work with the latest Simple Machines Forum software.  It is not easy and can't guarantee it will work, but I will try.

I do plan on a total rework of my website during this process to prepare it for the future direction I want to go with it.

I have a number of different areas I am doing R&D on which I want to pursue on the website.

I have been doing a lot of research into different Basic's for Windows and also embedded microcontrollers. I some ideas for the future of EZGUI as well. Have to change with the times.

Customers are still using EZGUI (along with Powerbasic) successfully and I am even designing apps with them myself for some clients.

For now, if you have any questions you need answered about using EZGUI feel free to email me at:

chrisboss@centurylink.net

or

support@cwsof.com

There is also a lot of useful info on the old archived EZGUI forums (CGI based forum) which are "read only" but worth checking out.

http://chrisboss.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Registration on new forums
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 12:02:38 pm »
Sadly I lost much of the data from my old forums because of problems trying to upgrade the old forum. Had to resort to a clean install of the latest version of the forum software, but have not been able to import in all the old data (I may be able to get some of the data reposted in future for for now can't).

This means if you were registered on the old forums you need to request registration all over again for the new forums.

Just send me an email and ask to be registered on the new forums to:

chrisboss@centurylink.net

or

support@cwsof.com

The first email address above gets to me quicker.

I need your User Name (real names required) and email address for the account.