Author Topic: Limit of 20 Items in Dropdown Menu?  (Read 947 times)

Frank Kelley

• View Profile
Limit of 20 Items in Dropdown Menu?
« on: March 03, 2022, 04:23:32 pm »
Working on a project that is using a form menu (File, Tools, Help, etc.) across the top of the form. One of the drop downs has grown to 20 items (including separators). It happens that EZGUI gives the last item in the list an ID of 9200...which is also the ID of the first item in the NEXT list. Much confusion when the menu appears to go haywire.

Is there a way to allow 20 full items in a drop down menu without having to edit the EZGUI generated code?

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Limit of 20 Items in Dropdown Menu?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:10:07 am »
You may have to hand code the menus rather than have the Visual Designer do it for you, if you have a conflict.

There is another option where you can change the control (and menus also) increment value in the project property dialog:

The property:

"Increment Control ID's by"

defaults to a value of 5 (20 menu items per range of 100 per drop down).

Change this value to something smaller and you will get more ID's per drop down list (each new drop down list increments by 100).

so 100/5 means 20 menu items

change to 2 and 100/2 means 50 menu items per drop down list.

See picture.

Frank Kelley

• View Profile
Re: Limit of 20 Items in Dropdown Menu?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 02:35:50 pm »
I ended up manually adjusting the ID of last few menu items as other portions of my code depend on the default 5 value increment of controls to hide/display them depending on what is happening elsewhere in the code.

It might have been better to have EZGUI generate the IDs of successive main menu items based on the ID of the last item in the previous main menu, but that's 20/20 hindsight on my part.

Thanks for your response, nonetheless!