Author Topic: Powerbasic Website Demise  (Read 847 times)

Chris Gaskell

• View Profile
Powerbasic Website Demise
« on: June 14, 2024, 02:39:47 am »
I don't know if anyone else has noted, but the Powerbasic website is no longer accessible. For the moment the Forum section is still working.
Anyway, I was wondering if your geat EZGUIPro5 could have new headers, include files, whatever to work with PureBasic.
I realise that it would not be easy, but I'd certainly pay for the upgrade.
I use EZGUI for all form designs. It's great, and over the years I've written software for accountants, and tax calculation software, plus a few games (for my daughter's amusement.
I realise that Chris said that he was semi-retired, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
What do others think?
Chris Gaskell

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Powerbasic Website Demise
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 09:30:51 pm »
I have no desire to end EZGUI's usefulness just because PB is basically dead and gone.

I am working on a custom project for a client right now which takes much of my programming time, but I may later on see if EZGUI could be modified to work with other programming languages.

EZGUI users have underestimated benefit. While Powerbasic is basically defunct and no new features on the horizon, EZGUI's feature set far exceeds anything Powerbasic could come up with in a a few years time. Most EZGUI users only use only a small subset of the EZGUI command set. By tapping into the more advanced features the "sky is the limit".

For example the pictures below use things like OpenGL, Ownerdraw Listbox, Ownerdraw Combobox and more.

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 09:31:25 pm »
More pictures

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 09:34:45 pm »
More pictures

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 09:39:27 pm »
Screenshot of a custom commercial app I created for a client company:

Top picture is showing default English.

Bottom picture is same app which changes text to Japanese (Unicode) via ownerdraw.

Chris Boss

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 09:44:10 pm »
The above app uses an external template file for different languages. I wrote a simple language editor using PB DDT using Unicode which saves text to a file template.

The EZGUI app loads the different language templates and can switch between different languages on the fly instantly.

The text for a  button may look like this:

Clear Terminal Display//0010

The ownerdraw engine removes the number after the // characters. If a different Language is selected, the app read the text in that language using the ID number after the // characters and draws that instead of the english.

Chris Gaskell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 07:54:43 am »
I can understand what you mean. Perhaps, if you have time (or indeed feel like it) you could organise a poll to see what computer languages for using EZGUI would like or prefer to see.
I still have to maintain VB6 programs, and I will do so as long as possible. I used PB because it eliminated the use of ActiveX ( a problem when these companies disappeared and the activation would no longer work) and EZGUI made the design of user interfaces so much easier. I have experimented and am experimenting with EZGUI.
I am currently creating a simple game. I realise that EZGUI is not designed for game creation, but the Sprite movement etc, is great, and I enjoy experimenting.
Whatever happens, Chris, I wish you well.

Chris Gaskell